Special Equestrians’ trained volunteers are the backbone of our therapeutic riding program. Volunteers are essential to the success of all programs and services at Special Equestrians.
- Do you want to directly work with our SE participants? You can train to become a sidewalker who walks beside our riders in their classes, giving them the support they need and reinforcing the instructor’s directions.
- Do you want to be at the riding arena, but not directly in the classes? We have jobs which are outside the arena such as: gate operator, toy distributor, arena set up and take down, and class greeter.
- If you have prior experience with horses, you can learn the SE way of grooming, tacking, and leading our horses.
- Are you a person who enjoys cleaning and tidying up? You can help maintain the stable area and SE office.
- Landscaping jobs are plentiful around our 14.5 property and we welcome help in this area.
- We also have office work, fundraising, and special events for those volunteers who do not want to work directly with the horses or in the classes.
Whatever direction you choose will be unique and rewarding. Join our team and share the joy!
All new Special Equestrians’ volunteers must fill out the Volunteer Application, read the Volunteer Handbook and attend Volunteer training before they begin their volunteer work with Special Equestrians. Click the links below to print out the volunteer application. You can send it to us in advance or bring it to your orientation. You may also read the volunteer handbook, at this time.
- You must be at least 14 years old to become a volunteer with Special Equestrians.
- Background checks are required for all volunteers who are 18 or over. The background check must be completed before you begin volunteering.
- Sturdy closed-toe shoes and neat comfortable clothing must be worn during your volunteer time.
- Emails are our main form of communication, so let us know if you are not receiving our emails. You can subscribe to our Free Email List now, to receive news and updates.
- Please refer to page 4 of our volunteer handbook for a complete list of volunteer guidelines.
Once you have completed the volunteer application and read the volunteer handbook, call or email our office and leave a message for our volunteer coordinator. The volunteer coordinator will return your call or answer your email to schedule your volunteer training. Your volunteer training will take place at Special Equestrians on two separate days which will last about 3 hours for each training day.